John Norton Poetry Center Fellowship
John Norton Fellowship – year-long appointment (semester long appointments may be possible)
Production / Post-Production (1 opening: PAID POSITION $15/hour)
Funded by a gift to The Poetry Center at SFSU from the estate of John F. Norton*, the John Norton Fellowship enables an advanced student in Cinema or related studies to work with Doc Film Institute at SFSU to video-record all live programs in the acclaimed Poetry Center Reading Series. The fellowship recipient works closely with Poetry Center and Doc Film staff to create full-program videos and highlight clips for open online access.
Under the supervision of Doc Film Director Soumyaa Behrens, the videographer is responsible for attending and recording all scheduled Poetry Readings in the renowned Poetry Center Reading Series. Dates are as follows:
- Thursday August 31 @ 7:00pm – SFSU Poetry Center
- Thursday September 14 @ 7:00pm – SFSU Poetry Center
- Thursday September 21 @ 7:00pm – SFSU Poetry Center
- Friday September 22 @ 8:00pm – Artists’ Television Access
- Thursday September 28 @ 7:00pm – SFSU Poetry Center
- Thursday October 5 @ 7:00pm - SFSU Poetry Center
- Saturday October 7 @ 7:00pm – The Green Arcade
- Thursday October 12 @ 7:00pm – SFSU Poetry Center
- Thursday October 15 @ 7:00pm – McRoskey Mattress Co.
- Thursday October 26 @ 7:00pm – SFSU Poetry Center
- Thursday November 2 @ 7:00pm – SFSU Poetry Center
- Thursday November 9 @ 7:00pm – SFSU Poetry Center
- Sunday November 12 @ TBA
- Tuesday November 14 @ 5:00pm – SFSU Poetry Center
- Thursday November 30 @ 7:00pm – SFSU Poetry Center
- Saturday December 2 @ 7:00pm – Unitarian Center
Using digital technology, the videographer will record each reading, add bumpers and credits as well as perform basic editing (color correction and sound mix) and tag files to conform with protocols developed by Doc Film & Academic Technology for ingesting recordings into SFSU’s Digital Information Virtual Archive (DIVA).
- Attend Poetry Center Events for purpose of creating video documentation of performances.
- Export raw video masters (archival file) for each performance.
- Export separate audio (MP3) file from video masters.
- Create MP4 distribution copy with bumpers, credits, light editing.
- Tag and label files in accordance with guidelines developed by Doc Film & Academic Technology.
- Create select short (2 min) videos of “highlights” at each event for Poetry Center communications and promotions.
- Transfer master and completed edited files to DIVA within one week of original recording date.
- Weekly or bi-weekly meetings with Doc Film staff to report and problem solve potential issues encountered in course of completing duties.
How to Apply: Email brief letter of interest, confirming your availability for all listed dates and summarizing your relevant skills and experience, to Doc Film Director, Soumyaa Behrens at firstname.lastname@example.org
* John Norton (1936–2015) was a San Francisco poet and writer, and author of three books: the American Book Award-winning The Light at the End of the Bog (1990); Re: Marriage (2000), a “New Narrative collage interspersed with poems”; and the poetry collection Air Transmigra (2010).